Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Fall Semester 2015

I started to register for classes for the upcoming fall semester. All my roommates and I stayed up until midnight and registered as fast as we could. Since we are all still young students, we did not have first pick at classes. We all still got most of what we needed and now we just need to wait and see how the wait list activity goes.
My major is Wildlife and Wildlands Conservation. This will let me work in national parks, forest service, zoos, pretty much any place that needs someone who works with the environment. The possibilities are vast and specific so I won't list them all out. For this major, I have to take 20 something classes that are in this major, 10 or so biology classes, religion classes, and whatever generals I don't have done. It's going to take me a while. Most of the classes I need are taught at one time during certain semesters only. Very specific times. I was able to get most of what I need, only one will have to wait until next semester. I've talked with the people leading my department and we have all my required courses planned out for the next few years. Only a few of them overlapped and I am not able to take it fall 2015 so it'll have to be fall 2016. Oh well, it'll take me a while, but I will get it all done.

Here is what my schedule looks like as of right now. I might change a few things around just for time, but it is all very specific so we'll see what happens.

GEOG 306- Public Land Conservation
Environmental and social geography of public lands; analyzing historical, planning, management, and ecological issues

PHSCS 137- Severe and Hazardous Weather
Non-mathematical introduction to meteorology. Atmospheric structure and dynamic behavior, focusing on short-term violent weather and longer-term hazards; drought, floods, heat waves, cold waves, and climate change, including human environmental impact

PWS 115- Introduction to Wildlife and Wildlands Conservation
Assisting students in choosing individual professions and curricula

PWS 344- Natural History of Wildlife
Wildlife species and their habitats, including ecology, life histories, adaptations, behavior, genetics and population viability variables, and the ethics of global stewardship. Field trips required

PWS 350- Rangeland Ecology
Distribution and abundance of organisms and their interactions with the physical and biotic components of the earth emphasizing rangeland ecosystems

REL A 211- New Testament
Historical background, narrative, and doctrines of the New Testament. Covers the life and teachings f Jesus Christ set forth in the four Gospels

STAC 155- Self Defense
Fundamental principles, skills, and techniques
I have had friends take it and said it was really fun, and all my roommates want to take the class together

Most of these classes relate to my major but some are generals. Once you pick your major, you can take generals that relate to that major. Some generals even count as prerequisites for other classes in your major. Later in school, I will be able to take a lot of really fun classes. Some include:
Biological Diversity: Animals
Animal Restraint
Plant Classification and Identification
Animal Disease, Biosecurity, and Zoonoses
Wildlife Law Enforcement
Statistics for Geographers
World Religions
Pioneers and Persecution 1846-1899
Safety Certifications for Field Biologists (ATV, snowmobiles, chainsaws, fighting off bears, all that really cool intense outdoor stuff)
Mammalogy
Ornithology
Soil Sciences +Lab
There are so many more classes I have to take. It's a shame I can only do 18 credits per semester. I wish these classes were a bit easier to schedule. Too many of them are only available in certain semesters in certain years, only taught at one time, only taught at a certain time of year... very frustrating. It might take me a while to get everything done, but I'll get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment